Friday, June 29, 2007

Cambridge today...

I'm spending a relaxing day today at Cambridge University - the "other place" from my last UK university stop. Unbelievable the history... From an American's perspective, it's like walking thought the history class I slept through in college. I wish I had actually learned while I was there!

It should, I think, be required for every student to travel to the location that they are studying. (In technical legal terms, this suggestion would be termed "Duh!"). At so many levels, it is facinating. To walk where Isaac Newton studied, to visit the home of C.S. Lewis' professorship... Fantastic!

I'm having a late lunch at the Eagle in the RAF bar' where the Allied pilots in WW2 met, and left their names on the ceiling. Those men literally left a mark on the world.

In the midst of all this, I"m left to wonder whether, in the brief time I have left in this life, whether my life will be worth remembering... What "mark" will I leave? Not to be remembered by men (a stop on a tour, quickly forgotten after the camera clicks), but will it count from our Lord's perspective?

"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ lasts."

Very true - and very "felt" here on a rainy morning in Cambridgeshire, UK.

By the way, punting on the Cam on a sunny afternoon (hey, the weather changed) - unbelivable! Pictures to follow over at that "other" website after I get home.

No comments: