Friday, June 26, 2009
Why I Don't "Tweet"
But not this. I think it's evil... no matter what the kids say about it.
It's twitter. And here are my top 10 reasons why I think it may foreshadow the end of modern civilization - even though I may try it out!
Top 10 Reasons I Don't Twitter
10. The people who need to know "what I am doing" already know
9. I have never seen a "tweet" that was important enough to merit the time I spent reading it... do I need to know what you had for lunch, your workout schedule, your random thoughts while watching "24" or your semi-profound insights?
8. People's tweets aren't as interesting, funny and/or profound as they imagine
7. Unlike blogs - which can admittedly be trivial - Twitter's character limit guarantees triviality. Besides, you can blog about ideas, present argument and reason, etc. In tweets, you are limited to mere information or assertion
6. As "a way to stay in touch with family and friends," its a lame substitute for a phone call or (gasp) a conversation
5. Particularly pathetic is the false sense of community - and even intimacy - perpetuated... (should I be getting regular messages from Oprah?)
4. Tweets are forever. No edits. No erasing.
3. What people tweet generally tells more about them than they think.
2. Twitter is a stalker's dream... accessible to anyone who can google your name and the word "twitter"
and the main point...
1. Narcissism is spelled "T-W-I-T-T-E-R"